Monday, August 1, 2011

MotoGP: lean machine!

Nicky Hayden (Owensboro, KY)
leads Jorge Lorenzo in Spain 2011
My husband turned me on to Moto GP this summer.  As a rider myself, I find what these riders do just so viscerally exhilarating, I can hardly bear to watch.  If you have not yet seen a motorcycle race, please know that these guys are dragging their knees on the turns, often with the rear end of the bike (or the whole thing!) sashaying in the limbo between static and kinetic friction.  (Here's Casey Stoner drifting; watch as he comes out of the turn.)  The angles are so insane that anyone (not just physics geeks like me) wonders how in the world they are able to do that.  So naturally, I start looking for the perfect clip to lay on my students, and I give you Dani Pedrosa, under the radar gun.


After about 20s, Pedrosa's speed is displayed.  Student questions will drive the analysis.  Have fun!

I've added this one to the collection of clips for Video Analysis that I started in last spring.  The picture is sharper in the original than above.

No comments:

Post a Comment